Larry Page and his business partner, Sergey Brin have been dubbed entrepreneurial geniuses by many for being the brains behind not only the largest search engine, but the largest website on the world wide web. These aren’t no “evil geniuses” though, in fact their slogan is “don’t be evil” but instead they thrive to make the worlds resources readily available to everyone.
Born: March 26, 1973, Lansing, Michigan, United States
Zodiac Sign: Aries
Net Worth: $19.8 Billion (estimated)
Successful For: Internet Entrepreneur, Co-Founder of Google Inc.
“If we were motivated by money, we would have sold the company a long time ago and ended up on a beach.”
Keys to Success:
- BE AN EDUCATED RISK-TAKER: Larry Page was an educated risk-taker. When he and Sergey first started out their company, they maxed out their credit cards and their friends and families credit cards to buy bandwidth for the company. Even though this was an extremely risky move, the two were both very educated in the area of computers and thus confident it was going to work out.
- GO BACK TO YOUR ROOTS, WHAT DID YOU ENJOY AS A KID: Growing up in a family obsessed with computers, he was surrounded by science magazines and computers which Larry was constantly drawn to. In other words, he grew a never-ending passion for computers since the day he was born. Many people, who become extremely successful, found their passion as children.
- YOUR FEELINGS CREATE REALITY, START FEELING SUCCESS: Larry and Sergey understand that feelings create reality. Google has been named the top place in the world to work because of their unusual business practices of creating a fun and exciting environment. Google continues to succeed because they offer their employees everything from car-rentals to buffets to exercise facilities. They even have a CCO (Chief Culture Officer) to make sure their culture is a positive environment.
“We have a mantra: don’t be evil, which is to do the best things we know how for our users, for our customers, for everyone. So I think if we were known for that, it would be a wonderful thing.”
Did You Know?
Larry Page and his co-founder Sergey Brin operate their business in a building they call the Googleplex. The Googleplex is known to be one of the most unique work places (in fact, it was rated as the top place to work in the world) in the world as it offers exercise facilities, buffets, rental cars, meditation sessions, and other recreational activities.
Road to Success:
Larry Page was set up for success from the get-go, he was born to a father who was a professor of computer science and artificial intelligence at Michigan State University, and a mother who also taught computer programming.
The Passion For Computers Begins:
As Larry grew up, he developed a passion for computers as he was constantly surrounded by computer magazines, and first-generation personal computers. He was the first in his school to hand in a word-processor document. Larry graduated from Lansing High School, and was an honors student at University of Michigan. After getting a B.S in computer engineering, Larry went to Stanford to study computer science.
A Partnership Is Born:
In Stanford, Larry met Sergey Brin, an expert in data-mining. The two went to work on a search-engine as part of a research project and ran a prototype called BackRub. The word began to spread, and the combination of computer science, and data-mining led to becoming a very powerful technology unlike any other search engines. In 1997, the domain Google.com was registered in reference to googol which is the number of 1 followed by 100 zeros which was their target of websites they wanted Google to explore. There idea was to rank sites based on how much they were used.
A Master’s In Google:
The two owners of Google took time off after getting their Masters Degrees to pursue their business. After outgrowing multiple offices, they settled in by leasing a couple of office spaces in a building at Mountain View, California (they would later buy the whole building and call it the Googleplex). In 2001, the dot-com bubble exploded as many online companies went under due to many site visitors not turning into sales leads, but Google continued to grow as they began to sell text ad space. Larry and Sergey then hired Eric Schmidt as CEO, as they took President Roles in other aspects (products and technology) of the company. By the time Larry Page, and Sergey Brin hit 24, they reached billionaire status. However, the 3, Larry, Sergey, and Eric reduced their income to $1.00 a year, tying all their personal wealth to their company.
“If you’re changing the world, you’re working on important things. You’re excited to get up in the morning.”
Larry Page is arguably the most successful internet entrepreneur on the world wide web. In 2002 World Economic Forum named Page the Global Leader for Tomorrow, and in 2007, he was cited by PC World as number 1 on the list of the 50 Most Important People on the Web. According to Forbes, he was the 26th richest person in the entire world in 2007.
Charities & Good Deeds:
Interestingly, Google currently has thousands of employees that own over a million dollars worth of stock in the company. The company has given over $33 Million in free advertising as its way of giving back. In 2006, Google purchased YouTube for $1.3 Billion. The company also has over 30 philanthropic programs. Larry Page is an entrepreneur that knows how to have fun with his work, he is an iconic figure to many up and coming entrepreneurs that wish to enter the online world.
- Image: http://www.flickr.com/photos/joi/2505321929/
- Image: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Larry_Page_laughs.jpg
- Image: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Larry_Page_in_the_European_Parliament,_17.06.2009.jpg