Born: February 23, 1965, Texas, US | Successful For: Business Magnate, CEO | Zodiac Sign: Libra
“A bunch of guys sitting around trying to decide what we want to have done with our money after we’re dead, that’s not a very good idea. Forget all that. We’re going to do this while we’re still here and get it right.”
- Michael Dell
Inner Keys to Success:
- FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS ONLY: Michael Dell put his time into what he knew he loved, not what others wanted him to do. His parents even tried to force him into med school; however he kept at his dream as he would eventually drop out of school to run the business of his dreams. “So they were, they were very, very upset with me. You know, “Michael, you’ve got to get your priorities straight.” When first starting out, he even hid his operations from his parents when they would visit him in college. Looking back hindsight, it was probably a very tough decision to make, but going after what interested him and gave him a burning desire was the right decision nonetheless. And it was very apparent this was his passion as he bought the Apple 2, just to take it apart and see how it worked.
- EXPAND OUT OF YOUR COMFORT ZONES: He has learned that in order to succeed you need to come out of your comfort zones. Michael Dell was apparently a very shy person that stayed to himself; however he adjusted and grew far out of his shell. It is the willingness to grow and change that contributes to his huge success. Risk is not always comfortable or easy either, and Michael really had to push past the norms of being in his young 20′s and pursuing business while his peers were studying for school and going to parties. “I had to give it a full go and see what happened.”
- WITHOUT EXECUTION YOUR DREAMS WILL NOT MOVE: Michael had a great idea, but unlike many people, he made it happen. When he had his grand idea of selling cheaper computers directly to the customers, he did not use a lack of resources as an excuse to not get started; rather he began with $1000 in his pocket and he didn’t stall for a minute, he pursued and acted quickly when he felt intuition knocking at his door. He would first sell to local college students, and rapidly grew. He also applied the fact that people don’t have enough money to his business model, as Dell was blowing away competition by offering much cheaper prices.
“It’s through curiosity and looking at opportunities in new ways that we’ve always mapped our path at Dell. There’s always an opportunity to make a difference.”
- Michael Dell
Little Known Success Fact:
While attending high school, Michael, being a keener at saving and making money, had earned about $18,000 in one year by investing his money in stocks. His government economics teacher was particularly upset with him because during an in class assignment to fill out tax returns, she was rather shocked with what his figures showed saying “Well this can’t be right. You made more money than I did!”
“You don’t have to be a genius or a visionary or even a college graduate to be successful. You just need a framework and a dream.”
- Michael Dell
- Image:(Creative Commons) by Joi of Michael Dell
- Image:(Creative Commons) Michael Dell
Powered by Facebook Comments