Born: December 30, 1975, California, US | Successful For: Golfer | Zodiac Sign: Sagittarius
Inner Keys to Success:
- ALWAYS AIM FOR PASSION AND THEN STRIVE TO BE THE BEST AT IT : It is fair to say Tiger Woods was bred for golf, as an infant, he would watch his dad practice his golf swing and one day his dad sawed off the handle on an old putter and handed it to him. To his fathers amazement, his toddler son imitated his exact swing. He was so intrigued with the game, he claims that as a kid, he was almost psycho in that he would throw golf balls into trees and then somehow try and make par from them stating "I thought that was fun." Tiger stresses that passion and fun are equally more important than anything else, giving parents some profound advice: "Don't force your kids into sports. I never was. To this day, my dad has never asked me to go play golf. I ask him. It's the child's desire to play that matters, not the parent's desire to have the child play. Fun. Keep it fun." His passion is obvious from his perspective as much as from the fans who watch, he states “I love to play golf, and that’s my arena. And you can characterize it and describe it however you want, but I have a love and a passion for getting that ball in the hole and beating those guys.” His itching desire along with commitment to being the absolute best is what makes him successful beyond earth. Tiger woods continuously strives to find better ways of becoming a better golfer and a better being as he states “There’s nothing wrong with having your goals really high and trying to achieve them. That’s the fun part. You may come up short. I’ve come up short on a lot on my goals, but it’s always fun to try and achieve them.” When just a young child, Tiger watched motivational videos and listened to subliminal audio tapes to tap into his subconscious mind. "People don't understand that when I grew up, I was never the most talented. I was never the biggest. I was never the fastest. I certainly was never the strongest. The only thing I had was my work ethic, and that's been what has gotten me this far." He was destined for golf from the age of 2 years old, check out his swing: (Tiger Woods Inspiring video).
- BELIEVE IN WHO YOU ARE AND SHOW THEM HOW GREAT YOU CAN BE: "I mean, as an athlete, as a competitor, you have to have that belief in yourself." Tiger Woods has always been the confident type who had self worth and belief in his skills. He once coined "There's no sense in going to a tournament if you don't believe that you can win it. And that is the belief I have always had. And that is not going to change." He focuses on his strengths and leaves the weaknesses to the side."Well, you know, a lot of people look at the negative things, the things they did wrong and - which I do. But I like to stress on the things I did right, because there are certain things that I like to look at from a positive standpoint that are just positive reinforcement." Think positive, and positive things will happen. This is his foundation, the beliefs and the mindset that he can do it no matter what, which led him to reach the greens from the tees at only age 6, and even nailed a couple of hole-in-one's Tiger always put himself out there to show the world what he was capable of. He wasn’t afraid to go on shows to show off his skills as a little kid. This bread confidence and pushed a message out in the universe that he wanted it! At 16, Tiger was Golf Digest’s Junior Amateur Player of the Year. By 19, he became the youngest player to ever win the U.S Amateur Championship. He had the opportunity to meet and work with legendary golfer Jack Nicklaus where Nicklaus performed for club members at a Golf Country Club. Tiger, again, took on the challenge and was out there for the world to see as he excelled at a performance that wowed the crowd. But it all began when Tiger Woods was 3, appearing on The Mike Douglas Show to putt against Bob Hope (comedian). At age 8, he was proving to be destined for the sport winning the youngest age group event at the Junior Worlds Golf Championships. Tiger’s father Earl quotes that Tiger beat him when he was trying his best, at only 11, and was able to beat him ever since. This was all due to his strong confidence and belief in himself "I've always known where I wanted to go in life."
- LIVE IN THE MOMENT, THAT’S WHERE THE MAGIC IS: Tiger has the ability to be so focused and live directly in the moment. Whether he’s driving down the fairway or putting on the green Tiger’s mind is always clear from distractions and extremely focused on his game. Growing up, Tiger’s dad would create distractions to improve his concentration while he would practice golf. In high school, the much focused Woods was quoted “Most Likely to Succeed” from his classmates who knew his drive level, and he quickly obtained a scholarship to Stanford. His focus is also derived from not worrying about external opinions, “One of the things that my parents have taught me is never listen to other people’s expectations.” Having this type of ability in life has led him to achieve unmatchable success. Tiger woods, a Buddhist follower, revealed one of his meditation like techniques to achieve stillness in an interview "I thoroughly enjoy getting away from the game and going out fishing because its so relaxing, so quiet and peaceful, I mean there's no noise other than nature - and its so different from what I do in a tournament situation that it just eases my mind." This is how his incomparable focus is achieved and how he is able to block out everything but him and the ball when the pressure is on. Even when he got into a divorce; he had to regain his focus to get back into the game he has always loved! After some time of dealing with his public affairs and realizing what he needed to do, he claimed "In therapy I have learned the importance of keeping spiritual life and professional life balanced. I need to regain my balance." Tiger Woods is a golfing Goliath with the mind and calmness of a spiritual monk.
"I love to compete. That's the essence of who I am." - Tiger Woods
Tiger Woods is quite possibly the wealthiest athlete in the world, having an income of over $80 Million dollars a year. Tiger’s stats rank him as the most successful golfer of all time and he is an icon in the world of professional sports. In addition to his legendary golfing, Tiger is known for being endorsed by many major companies including General Motors, Titleist, American Express, and Nike. Accompanying these achievements, Tiger also gives back and has created many charities including the Tiger Woods Foundation, and the Tiger Woods Learning Center. He has been called the world’s most marketable athlete and is the only person to be Sports Illustrated’s Sportsman of the Year more than once. With stats that even professional athletes would strive to meet, Tiger Woods can arguably be named the most successful athlete in the world.
"I wake up every day and I can't wait to go to work, and that's a gift. Not too many people have the opportunity to feel that way."
- Tiger Woods
Checkout the Tiger Woods biography of his in depth story below:
- Image Source: (Creative Commons) "Tiger Woods drives by Allison" by Keith Allison http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Tiger_Woods_drives_by_Allison.jpg #mediaviewer/File:Tiger_Woods_drives_by_Allison.jpg
- Image Source: (Creative Commons) "TigerWoodsOct2011" by Angela George –https://www.flickr.com/photos/sharongraphics/ http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:TigerWoodsOct2011.jpg#mediaviewer/File:TigerWoodsOct2011.jpg
Powered by Facebook Comments