Born: January 26, 1961, Ontario, Canada | Successful For: NHL Legend | Zodiac Sign: Aquarius
Inner Keys to Success:
- BE CONFIDENT YOU WILL SUCCEED: Wayne Gretzky’s confidence for the game far outweighed any other player in the NHL. Young Gretzky joined his first team at the age of 6, while all of the other players were 10, and even though he only scored one goal that year, he came back the following year at the top of the ranks due to his relentless confidence in himself to be the best. This affected his NHL years since he was so used to playing with players faster and stronger than he was but used his intelligence to outsmart them. Gretzky would soon be known for his unbounded intelligence and confidence in the game. He was able to dodge checks from opposing players, and could consistently anticipate where the puck was going to be.
- TURN EVERY NEGATIVE INTO A POSITIVE: By the time Gretzky was 13, he had scored over 1000 goals. Being so talented at the game, his teammates and other parents would boo him because of all the attention he would attract, the parents of the players would become jealous enabling them to do whatever it took to bring the young Gretzky’s self-esteem down. He was eventually forced to move to Toronto with his family where he kept playing great hockey. Gretzky didn’t let his outer circumstances affect him, but used them as motivation. This did not stop number 99 from achieving his dream and breaking records in the NHL. Perception is reality, and when hit with adversity you can either sink or swim.
- GET “IN THE MOMENT” THAT’S WHERE THE MAGIC HAPPENS: When on the ice, he lived in the moment, not letting anything throw his focus off the game. “Ninety percent of hockey is mental and the other half is physical.” The great one was known for his amazing ability to read the goalie, and know precisely when to execute. He was so in the zone he would know where the puck would end up and know exactly how to get there the quickest way possible.
“You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.” – Wayne Gretzky
Little Known Success Fact:
Wayne Gretzky aka “the great one” is not only one of the greatest hockey players to ever play the sport, he is also single-handedly the reason the NHL has created many new rules throughout the years. Shockingly, Gretzky has never had a hockey player “stature”; he was never known for his speed or strength, but rather for his intelligence of the game, Gretzky quotes “I wasn’t naturally gifted in terms of size and speed; everything I did in hockey I worked for, and that’s the way I’ll be as a coach.” The NHL no longer let’s anyone wear jersey number 99, and for good reason.
Intrigued with the Great One and his story, click below to read reviews to purchase his bio:
- Image Source: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kk/102595386/ by kris krüg https://www.flickr.com/photos/kk/
- Image Source: http://www.fotopedia.com/items/flickr-252549470 photo by Håkan Dahlström
Powered by Facebook Comments