Born: April 9, 1926, Chicago, US | Successful For: Founder of Playboy | Zodiac Sign: Aries
“You stay in touch with the boy who dreamed impossible dreams.”
– Hugh Hefner
Inner Keys to Success:
- BREAK THE RULES AND TAKE RISKS: Hugh Hefner wasn’t afraid to take risks and did what no one had ever done before, released pictures of nude women to the public. This was extremely bold for Hefner to do. In fact, his first major picture was of Marilyn Monroe, before she was famous, that he had stumbled upon. Sometimes you have to push the boundaries of societal norms to preserve your place in history. As he once put it, “If you let society and your peers define who you are, you’re the less for it.”
- DO SOMETHING YOU ENJOY, BE IDEALISTIC: Hefner did something he was not only good at, but also passionate about. Hugh Hefner always loved to write articles, ever since high school. During university, he’d work drawing cartoons for the Daily Illini and editing the College magazine Shaft. Young Hefner even created his own comic book. Eventually, he built a business around his passion creating the Playboy Magazine. “I was a very idealistic, very romantic kid in a very typically Midwestern Methodist repressed home.”
- WHEN THERE’S OPPORTUNITY, ACT IN SPITE OF OTHERS: When he saw opportunity, he took action, even after he was rejected from numerous journalists on his ideas. Hefner saw an opening for a gentlemen’s magazine of nude women, and acted. Although he did not know how the magazine would become successful, he just followed his intuition, managed to work up some investment, and started the business. At the young age of 27, Hefner used $600 of his own money, and $8,000 of which he attained from over 45 investors (including his mother) to start-up his company, Playboy. The first issue sold 53,991 copies at $0.50 a copy selling out the whole issue. This sparked confidence in Hefner’s eyes and he reached the million dollar mark a couple years later.
“Life is too short to be living somebody else’s dream” – Hugh Hefner
Little Known Success Fact:
Although Hugh Hefner may be known as a genius to men because of all of the beautiful women, he actually had an IQ at a genius level of 152 in high school. However, despite his high IQ, he got average grades. His mind was probably too focused on making his visions a reality, than on boring school work.
“In my wildest dreams, I could not have imagined a sweeter life.”
- Image: https://es.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archivo:Hugh_Hefner_2007.jpg
- Image: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Kendra_Wilkinson,_Bridget_Marquardt_and_Hugh_Hefner.jpg
Powered by Facebook Comments