Born: January 31, 1981, Tennessee, US | Successful For: Actor, Musician | Zodiac Sign: Aquarius
“I believe people can move things with their minds.”
– Justin Timberlake
Inner Keys to Success:
- MAINTAIN A POSITIVE DEMEANOR AND BE SURROUNDED BY WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY: He has the ability to take life lightly and always maintains his optimistic foundation for success. Justin Timberlake never seems to get upset or get down on things. He has openly stated that he has OCD mixed with ADHD. When facing heat for the famous wardrobe malfunction with Janet Jackson or for the breakup of N’sync, Timberlake has been able to rise to even further heights thanks to his brush if it off approach. Being a close imitation of the Backstreet Boys, they were initially labeled ‘copy cats’ but that never slowed them down which allowed them to be just as good, if not better. Whether he’s singing, performing or being his goofy self on Ellen, SNL or with good friend Jimmy Fallon, he portrays his good nature with smiles and laughter. “I’m very thankful to be doing what I’m doing. I feel very blessed.” From the Mickey Mouse Club (cast of Christina Aguilera, Britney Spears, Ryan Gosling) to forming a boy band with fellow star JC, Timberlake does that which brings him the most joy. When the band ended their triumphant run, Justin made his biggest move by debuting his first solo album which ended up selling 7 million records. After taking a break from song and dance, he got back into the acting field. “The way I grew up, I was always taught that it’s uncouth to talk about money, and that’s not what should inspire you.”
- BE A TRUE REFLECTING IMAGE OF WHO YOU ARE INSIDE AND OUT: He is who he is, regardless of the norms or what other people may think of him. Justin Timberlake has said that he often overwhelms girls with so much love, and after the break up between him and Britney, he did not change, he remained the same way with his future girlfriends until he found the one, who appreciated all the love. In fact, Timberlake is so comfortable in his own shoes that he has even stated courageously “I pick my nose and I’m not ashamed to admit it. If there’s a bogey then just pick it, man.” As funny as it sounds, it’s a great example of just how comfortable he is in his unique DNA. “As time goes by people will see who I am for who I am.” Timberlake openly labels himself a ‘mama’s boy,’ and even admitted that he’s a shy individual off stage and is not a big talker. No matter what he has done, Justin has always expressed himself through his art and people can really relate to his self-expression and realism. He states that “My biggest challenge was to make sure that the songs I did were who I am.” Combine who you are with what you do and make them ‘in sync’.
- FIND PASSION, AND BE TENACIOUS TO ACHIEVE EXCELLENCE: “This isn’t about the money. This is just for me. I love music.” He found his burning desire while growing up singing for the church choir. Performing has been his lifelong passion as Justin Timberlake sang at the Grand Ole Opry at just 10 years old. He would have his first taste for singing solo when he began singing country songs on Star Search. Timberlake says “I would sing at the talent shows at schools and go around town doing different things, but it was more like, “That kid’s a freak.” You hear a lot of stories about child prodigies, child actors or people whose parents pushed them really hard. But I was the one begging for the stage. That made me kind of stand out in good ways and in weird ways. Not a lot of 10-year-old Caucasian kids were running around Millington, Tennessee, singing Stevie Wonder and Al Green songs, which were the songs I felt most connected to.” Timberlake has a relentless work ethic and was tenacious in his approach as he recalls calling every radio program director. He would push for a chance at all costs and remembers continuously saying “This is my record. Give it a chance.” His personal philosophy on the subject “I think that when people find something that they love to do they make sacrifices to do it.” Following his intuition has always served him, whether singing, acting, or even writing; He completed Justified without touching a pen and paper and claims to not write down his lyrics.
“If you put out 150 percent, then you can always expect 100 percent back. That’s what I was always told as a kid, and It’s worked for me so far!”
– Justin Timberlake
Justin Timberlake was initially inspired to become a performer by Janet Jackson, who he says “didn’t just stand there and sing her song”. He was intrigued by her “energy and exuberance”. This inspiration mixed with his ambitious persona has led to him earning 6 Grammy’s along with 4 Emmy’s. His drive for more has led him to being an accomplished actor as well. Timberlake is involved in many different endorsements for commercial products including Sony, Givenchy and Audi and is a big believer in giving back. He is active in many charitable causes including his “Justin Timberlake Foundation,” which funds music education programs in schools. He owns restaurants, a golf course which is recognized for it’s Eco-friendliness and co-owns a clothing line with his best friend Trace Alaya. His advice: “There’s nothing wrong with shooting for the stars.”
“My teenage years were exactly what they were supposed to be. Everybody has their own path. It’s laid out for you. It’s just up to you to walk it.” – Justin Timberlake
Inspired by JT? Checkout his full biography:
- Image: Themeplus Licensed under the Creative Commons https://www.flickr.com/photos/85217387@N04/8388333100/
- Image: “Justin Timberlake Cannes 2013” by Georges Biard – Own work. Licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 via Wikimedia Commons –
Powered by Facebook Comments